This blog post will list the pros and cons of artificial grass and compare it with real grass to highlight the benefits of choosing artificial grass over real grass. Many people favour artificial grass since it is more convenient with modern, busy lifestyles.
Premium 30mm Artificial Grass
Premium quality 30mm artificial turf.
Sold by Square Metre
Pros of Artificial Grass
Artificial Grass is a very smart and suitable solution for your lawn and has several benefits that make it more convenient for the owner.
- Artificial grass always looks aesthetically pleasing in all types of weather. This is because the weather does not have a direct impact on the appearance of the turf. It will continue to stay green, neat, tidy, and look good all year round, whatever the weather.
- It is much more convenient for the owner because it does not require much maintenance. Artificial turf does not need to be watered, fertilised, or mowed like real grass.
- Less time spent maintaining your lawn means more time to spend enjoying your garden.
- An artificial lawn does not require the use of a lawnmower like real grass does to cut it. Lawnmowers are bad for the environment and potentially dangerous. As your artificial lawn does not require a lawnmower to maintain it, this reduces air pollution caused by lawnmowers, making your lawn better for the environment.
- The easy maintenance of artificial grass will benefit older & disabled users who might find it difficult to mow and maintain their lawn. Artificial Grass is perfect for use in care home & retirement facilities
- People who live away from home for long periods of time, own a holiday home or work away a lot and are not at home very often can benefit from artificial grass as it will not grow like natural grass and so doesn’t require any maintenance from the owner.
- Artificial grass does not need to be watered like natural grass. This is better for the environment because it reduces water usage. By cutting your hose pipe and sprinkler usage, you can both save water and save on your water bills.
- Artificial turf is pet-friendly. It can’t be dug up and spoiled by pets as real grass can so will stay smart even if you have cats and dogs. It stays hygienic and unaffected by urine and is easy to clean. This makes the turf ideal for use in places such as kennels. Also, the grass can’t be spoilt by mud patches dug up by dogs. Plus, dogs love to play on it as much as natural grass.Animal waste is easily cleaned off the lawn using a light detergent & water or one of our pet friendly products.
- Artificial turf can work out to be cheaper to maintain over time. This is because natural grass becomes expensive when adding the cost of fertilisers, pesticides, lawn shears, hoses, strimmers, rakes, weed killers, lawnmowers, water, and grass feed required to maintain it. This makes it far more cost-effective than real grass over its full lifespan.
- The appearance of synthetic grass has improved vastly over time and many higher-end surfaces have a very convincing natural appearance. Our artificial turf looks and feels as good as the real thing. Our Which? Best Buy Wonder Yarn is our most natural looking grass and suits most gardens.
- Artificial grass could also be very beneficial to people with busy lifestyles because it requires little to no maintenance. If you have little time for garden maintenance, synthetic turf is the perfect choice as it does not need to be maintained to keep it looking good.
- It can be used regardless of the weather. For example, in sport, the weather will not delay players from using the turf.
- In the heat, artificial grass won’t die or become dehydrated like natural grass.
- Artificial grass offers the customer a wide variety of colour, pile, length, density, texture, yarn, and design options which means you can customise it to your own needs and style choices.
- Artificial grass is highly versatile. Not only does it look amazing in the garden, it can also be used for a wide range of purposes and in a variety of settings including on decking, poolsides, roof terraces, play areas, offices, exhibition spaces, balconies, restaurants, bars, hotels, gyms, golf courses, and events.
- When installed correctly, artificial grass has excellent drainage properties (up to 60 litres per minute!) when it rains and, in many cases, will dry quicker than natural grass.
- Many people believe that a natural lawn will be more green and environmentally friendly to maintain. However, this might not always be the case. “In 2009, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality found that an hour of petrol powered lawn mowing produces as much pollution as four hours of driving a car”. Source: NationalGeographic.com
- Artificial turf is UV-stabilised for fantastic protection against the sun. This means it won’t fade or discolour in sunlight and will maintain its vibrant green colour.
- Artificial grass is very child friendly. It is mess-free, soft and cushioned so perfect for playing on, and requires no chemicals or pesticides so is safer. This makes it great for kids.
- Many schools have now installed Artificial Grass to create a safe and clean environment to play and learn in an outdoor classroom.
- Artificial grass is allergy-free, which makes it perfect for hay-fever sufferers. Grass pollen is a high cause of allergies, whereas artificial turf stays pollen-free so you can stay hay-fever free all year round.
- Enjoy no more mud. Artificial grass is mud-free so you can look forward to no more muddy footprints, muddy patches, and no more dogs digging up mud holes in the turf and walking paw prints into the house.
- It is ideal for shaded areas as artificial grass does not need the sun to stay looking fresh and healthy. Without sunlight, real grass can die, making shaded areas difficult to care for. Artificial grass won’t turn brown, making it ideal for shaded areas where real turf struggles to grow.
- It is much more weed resistant than natural grass so weeds are less likely to grow through artificial turf than real turf. By laying a weed membrane and applying weed killer, you can be practically weed-free.
- It is very long-lasting and has a life expectancy of around 15 years through normal use.
- No fertilisers or pesticides are needed with artificial grass as is required with natural turf. This reduces ground pollution caused by fertiliser and pesticide and keeps your garden chemical-free which is much better for the environment.
- Due to the materials it is made from, artificial grass stays pest-free. On the other hand, natural grass provides the perfect environment for bugs and pests which you need to spend time, effort, money, and harmful pesticide to rid your lawn of.
- Artificial grass is not susceptible to lawn diseases like natural lawns are. Lawn diseases such as Rhizoctonia destroy your real turf and requires time, money, effort to fight it off.
- Unlike natural grass, artificial grass is not susceptible to flooding or drought. Our turf drains quickly, so it won’t get waterlogged or flooded. Likewise, it does not require water, so will not be affected by lack of water or drought. It will stay looking vibrant whatever the weather.
- Artificial Grass is ideal for small spaces such as roof terraces or small garden areas in large cities where outside space is limited. This makes seemingly unusable spaces brighter and able to be used for multiple new uses.
- The turf is very easy to maintain. Simply remove debris using a leaf blower, brush, or rake, and if the grass gets dirty and requires cleaning, hose it down using detergent and a brush.
- Artificial grass is highly durable. It can withstand wear and tear, is weather-proof, does not dry out, does not get waterlogged, and will not fall victim to pest infestations. It is way more robust than real grass.
- Our grass can be recycled at the end of its life so that it can be repurposed into other products. This reduces landfill and waste, preserves resources, prevents pollution, and saves energy. This makes our artificial turf products highly sustainable and reduces the impact on the environment.
Cons of Artificial Grass
There are some cons of artificial grass and these may sway customers towards choosing natural grass instead.
- In some cases, the production of artificial grass can be bad for the environment and cause pollution or waste, but this will depend on the production methods a business uses. All our production facilities use modern, energy-efficient machinery. Our grass is tufted on cobble tufting machines which are produced in the United Kingdom, using yarn produced from world-leading yarn producers and many produced in-house to ensure quality and environmental compliance. We conduct regular site inspections to ensure compliance along with the facilities in China being FIFA approved and rigorously inspected.
- It can be expensive to install if the quality of the turf is of a good standard – but this is a sound investment for a professional installation as you need your grass to be fitted to the highest standards. Whilst artificial turf can be expensive initially, it will pay for itself over the long term and often works out even cheaper than natural turf as it does not have the high maintenance costs of real grass.
- Some keen gardeners like to look after and maintain their gardens and take pride in the way it looks. So, they might see artificial grass as cheating.
- It takes longer to install compared to natural grass due to the process of fitting it.
- It does not have the natural, fresh-cut smell that real grass has which some people might see as a negative point, along with enjoying cutting the lawn on a sunny Sunday afternoon.
- For some, a disadvantage is that it will not last for the same time as natural grass will. On average, artificial grass is expected to have a lifespan of 7-15 years. This is still a long time and will provide the customer with many years of easy maintenance. However, some people will prefer natural grass because it will last longer but require regular maintenance.
- Artificial grass can get hot in extreme heat, however it should not cause any burns. Applying sand infill will help keep the turf cool. Using common sense such as spraying the grass with cool water, wearing appropriate footwear, and laying a white blanket where you intend to sit can help keep you cool in warmer temperatures.
- Artificial turf may reduce the biodiversity of your garden as it is made of plastic and so is not a natural material that wildlife can live in. However, by planting flowers, shrubs, and plants around your lawn and in other areas of your garden, you can combat the lack of biodiversity, encourage wildlife, and make your garden a habitat for many different species whilst providing a safe and practical year-round space for all the family to enjoy – this way, you get the best of both worlds.
Experience the Amazing Benefits of Artificial Grass for Yourself
It is clear that the pros of artificial grass far outweigh the cons. Artificial grass is low-maintenance, durable, pet-friendly, long-lasting, cost-effective, offers flexible design options, and will give you a green, vibrant space that you can enjoy all year round.
Contact us today to learn more about the wonderful benefits of artificial grass. Request your free quote to install artificial grass in your garden and experience the benefits for yourself.